Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Big Big Gun! (a la The Pixies)

So today I got to take part & witness one of the coolest things I have done and seen in a while. I was able to help out with the ski areas avalanche safety by way of a decomissioned U.S. Military 105mm Howitzer gun. Now to put it in to perspective a little, 105mm roughly equals 4.13 inches......to me that's kind of a big projectile flying at high velocities! Anyways I was able to help out with the four shots that were fired. It goes without saying, this was verrrry cool (yes I know I'm a nerd). So one of our shots was into a gladed area that is prone to sliding.........I'll just say I don't think the pine tree that the shot connected with is going to make it. The last glimpse I saw of the tree, before the detonation, there was a large flash of flames and a puff of smoke. It was a magnificent spectacle of nature.......it will be missed (it was still cool though).

This is what a 105mm round looks like.........I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of these babies!

The James Bond shot, looking down the barrel of the gun.

4 comments:

Sabrosa Cycles said...

The boys at the sundance ski resort miscalculated on of their rounds and launched it over the mountain and landed it in someone's backyard in Pleasant Grove.
Big Iron.

Ben said...

That's pretty bad ass! How much recoil does that sucker have?

VeloRyan said...

I heard about the bomb landing in the backyard thing....they used a little too much gun powder(actually it was the supplier for the powder who loaded the wrong proportion), and like you said over shot the ol' target. How's that for a wake up call!

VeloRyan said...

Ben.....she's got a little kick to 'er. The gun recoils about three feet (you can see the slide that the barrel slides down after the shot is fired).